Wool is our pillar here at Mountain Meadow Wool. Everything we do revolves around wool; whether were talking with local ranchers or wholesaling our yarn to a local yarn store, or in production of our finished products, it’s all about the wool.
I want to specifically talk about Why we love wool hoodies!
There are so many amazing properties to wool, specifically how it affects you and I physically. Wool itself is an extremely fascinating fiber, as you all probably already know, but let’s run through some of those properties:
- Wool is 100% natural, biodegradable, and renewable. A person can’t produce wool from any other means than from sheep. Not only that, but a sheep will produce a new fleece every single year, creating a natural renewable fiber.
- Wool is wrinkle resistant. That’s a fact jack. No need to bring out that old heavy iron, a wool hoodie doesn’t wrinkle so you can look great anytime!
- Wool is odor resistant. According to woolmark.com, “In contrast to synthetics, Merino wool can absorb moisture vapour which means less sweat on your body. Merino wool even absorbs the odour molecules from sweat, which are only released upon washing.” (Wool Fibre facts and benefits, https://www.woolmark.com/about-wool/wool-fibre/)
- Our Mountain Merino® is next-to-skin soft. Our signature Mountain Merino® wool fibers are fine, which allows for more bending and usage. Our process of combing the wool aligns the fibers to create a softer product.
- Wool can regulate your body temp. Those fine fibers react to changes in the temperature of your body. It helps keep you warm but wicks the sweat away to keep you cool.
These are just a few of the magnificent properties of wool. Now, mix these into a soft yarn, and we knit that yarn to an extremely durable and warm 100% wool hoodie.. It’s like the superman of hoodies. :D
Here is the incredibly unique thing about our wool hoodies. We can trace back to the ranch where the wool was shorn from. Not only that, but we’re able to tell you exactly what sheep the wool is from! Additionally we give you an educational pamphlet on the ranch and the wool, with every hoodie order! *Mind blown*
Well, maybe your mind isn’t blown, but our goal is to be able to educate you, the consumer, to know where your product was made. There’s something great about purchasing a 100% made in the USA wool hoodie and knowing where the wool was raised and where it is manufactured, knitted, fulfilled, and the story behind it.
It just feels right.
We have several different sizes to our hoodies and most take between 1-1 ½ hours to knit. It then takes about 1 ½ hours to link and assemble. After assembly, we wash it in an eco-friendly soap, but we don’t agitate. After it’s washed and dried, it heads over to our seamstress who provides the proper labels, then we steam the 100% wool hoodie. What the steaming does is lock in those fiber together with heat and holds the shape of the hoodie. Then we package and ship it out.
Our hoodies are made in three natural colors: medium grey, dark grey, and natural black wool yarn. Here’s an interesting tid-bit: our natural greys are mixed with white wool and black wool at different percentages (we even include the percentages on our retail label for you!). Medium is 75% white/25% black and our dark grey is 55% white/45% black. Those natural hues can’t be produced in a dye kitchen. You can only get them by mixing white and black wool. Our black is straight black (obvi). The natural black is beautiful and rugged at the same time. You can imagine how it looks knit into a hoodie! Fantastico.
It’s for those reasons that we love our 100% wool hoodies and hope that you do too. They make for a great, meaningful gift for someone you love, or a lasting piece of America for you to wear for years and years.